Making your own granola is very easy. You just mix the cereal with the rest of the ingredients and pop it in the oven for 20-30 minutes. When you take it out, you’ll add dried fruit, let it cool, and transfer it to an airtight container. See how to make your own granola step by step!
Granola – what is it?
Unlike muesli, granola is a ready-made baked dish. It can be eaten with milk or natural yoghurt, as well as a snack on its own. Classic granola is a combination of oatmeal with hazelnuts and maple syrup. Our recipe shows the classic proportions of flakes, nuts and other toppings. Use these proportions, swap some nuts for others, or make a mix of them. Add seeds, raisins, chopped dried apricots or prunes, and coconut shavings, and you have an amazing mix that will always be on hand.
Granola from the store – why so expensive?
So why is store-bought granola so expensive? There are two reasons: one subjective and one objective. Granola is a fashionable product chosen by health conscious consumers, as well as by people on weight loss diets. As we know, people are ready to pay generously for health. In addition, granola is really a high quality product in comparison with muesli. And not only in terms of composition, but also in terms of taste. If muesli for breakfast is an obligatory option for many, granola is a real treat.
Granola from this recipe
- It is very nutritious: half of its composition is nuts and dried fruit. It has no sugar and no harmful hydrogenated fats.
- It is easy and quick to prepare. Preparing a large sheet of granola will take you less than 40 minutes in total.
- Raw materials for its preparation are in every store and you can easily replace them with some substitute.
- It can be stored for about a month in a dry, sealed container at room temperature.
- It is great for breakfast and as a snack with tea or coffee.
- It tolerates transport very well, you can take it with you to school or work.
- It is much cheaper than its store bought variants and at the same time you can be sure what is in it.
Ingredients for granola
- 4 cups of regular oatmeal (instant is not suitable),
- 1.5 cups raw nuts and seeds,
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt,
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon,
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or olive oil,
- ½ cup neutral flavored honey or maple syrup (diabetics should skip this step),
- ⅔ cup dried berries and fruit.
Preparing granola step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper. In a bowl, mix oatmeal, salt, cinnamon, nuts and seeds. Spread the mixture on the baking tray.
- Combine the melted coconut oil or olive oil with the honey or syrup, stir and pour over the flakes.
- Stir well and bake until golden brown in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes. Stir a few times.
- Add dried fruits and berries to the finished granola.
- Pour into any container and… the mixture is ready!
We recommend eating granola prepared this way with natural yogurt with the addition of sliced bananas, strawberries or apples.
main photo: unsplash.com/Super Snapper